Watch Your Energy
After killing off the antiquated top-up meter key, OVO is the first energy company to launch an updated app for the Apple Watch.
The iOS upgrade gives Apple Watch customers the additional benefit of:
- Giving their meter readings through voice recognition
- At-a-glance estimates of how much they’ve spent since their last bill
These are in addition to core iOS and Android app features that include:
- Meter read notifications to ensure accurate bills
- Simple, quick and easy access to latest bills and statements, current balance and usage
- Instant access to in depth help and support
The apps are built on the MyOVO dashboard, available to all OVO customers, which gives unprecedented ability to track energy usage, costs and to manage their account online.
“Piece by piece, we’re continuing to disrupt and improve the experience for UK energy customers, who’ve been starved of any innovation, much of it due to the dominance of the Big Six energy companies” said Mariano Albera, Chief Technology Officer at OVO.
Following unprecedented growth, OVO has doubled the size of its technology team to 50 experienced and talented developers, designers and programmers, and builds all of its technology solutions in-house. Highlights this year include:
- Building the first ever full-service Smart pay as you go energy platform (PAYG+), meaning customers can manage all elements of their energy supply, from topping up, to monitoring usage on one simple platform (app or desktop) anytime, anywhere. In turn, ending the need for the traditional meter key and inconvenient top up trip to the local corner shop
- Launching OVO Communities - an out of the box, tech-led solution that allows local councils, housing associations or community groups to become energy suppliers. So far, three partnerships are live in Cheshire (Fairerpower), Peterborough (Peterborough Energy and Southend on Sea (Southend Energy)
- Reached the milestone of 90,000 smart meters installed, meaning no more estimated bills and allowing customers to track and control their energy usage and costs
The OVO Energy app is available for iOS and Android.
About OVO Energy
Headquartered in Bristol, OVO Energy, the 10th fastest private growing business in the UK, is one of the leading independent suppliers in the UK energy retail market. OVO was founded in 2009 by Stephen Fitzpatrick who set out to create a better energy company. Since entering the market in 2009, OVO currently has nearly 500,000 customers, created over 850 jobs and become the only Which? recommended energy provider.
OVO’s guiding principles are simplicity, transparency and fairness in all of its operations: making the energy industry easier for consumers to understand and making sure prices reflect the actual cost of doing business so customers know they’re getting a good deal.