All customers of the OVO family: energy bill update
16 September 2022
The OVO family covers over 4 million UK energy customers including: OVO Energy, SSE Energy Services and Boost.
For all OVO customers, the following changes will take effect on the 1st October 2022:
- No exit fees for customers switching from a fixed tariff onto a variable tariff
- The Energy Price Guarantee will be applied to all customers bills - they do not need to apply
- For all pay monthly customers, the £400 Energy Bill Support Scheme will be paid directly into customers bank accounts in six separate payments over six months
- OVO’s £50m Customer Support Package will be available to eligible customers
Find out more on these changes below:
- No exit fees for switching
- For some customers, depending on when they fixed, the variable tariff could now be the cheapest option
- Any customer who wants to switch from a fixed tariff to a variable tariff can do so for free.
- OVO will waive all exit fees to enable customers to move onto its variable tariff.
- The Energy Price Guarantee will be applied to all customers' bills and there is no need to apply.
- From 1 October the new Energy Price Guarantee will limit the energy bill for a typical household to £2,500 and is in addition to the Energy Bill Support Scheme.
- OVO will apply the Energy Price Guarantee at a unit rate to all customers' bills - they do not need to take any further action.
- For all customers paying by Direct Debit, the Energy Bill Support Scheme will be paid directly into customers bank accounts
For customers who pay by Direct Debit
- All OVO Direct Debit customers will receive the £400 as six separate payments over 6 months, directly into their bank accounts between October and March 2023.
- This means customers will receive £66 in October and November and £67 in December, January, February and March respectively.
For prepayment customers
For any OVO customer that tops up with a smart Pay As You Go meter OVO will add your monthly discount straight to your electricity smart meter as a credit in the first week of each month. OVO will get in touch from October to confirm each time they’ve added the credit.
For any OVO customers that tops up with a traditional Pay As You Go meter You'll receive your voucher by email or post within 11 working days of the 1st of each month. You can use these vouchers at a PayPoint shop to top up your electric and/or gas meters. Find your nearest PayPoint here.
You’ll need to redeem the vouchers within 90 days of the issue date, and show one of the following forms of ID: UK driving licence, bank statement, or a council tax bill.
- OVO’s £50m Customer Support Package will be available to eligible customers. Here’s what's available:
- Financial relief: Direct Debit relief, emergency top-up, and payment holidays for customers struggling to pay for their energy.
- Hardship scheme: Additional funds will be allocated to our Hardship Scheme, which will provide additional support for customers via a wide range of interventions, accessed through our dedicated support team.
- Specialist support: Dedicated support for our customers in the most financial difficulty from a highly-trained team, including support for those in financial difficulty for the first time
- Free services: A range of free and heavily discounted products and services like smart thermostats and boiler servicing.
Find out more about our Customer Support Package by visiting: www.ovoenergy.com/customer-support-package