Millions of OVO customers will receive £400 Energy Bills Support Scheme direct into their bank accounts from start of October
29 September 2022
Millions of OVO customers across the UK will receive the Energy Bill Support Scheme directly into their bank accounts from the start of October. The £400 discount will be spread over a 6 month period, from October 2022 to March 2023. Eligible customers will receive £66 in October and November, and then £67 every month until March.
Customers don’t need to apply for the discount, or pay it back.
The exact time customers will receive each monthly discount, and the way it’ll be paid, will depend on how they pay for their energy.
If customers pay by Direct Debit
Customers will receive the discount directly into their bank account. Once their Direct Debit payment has cleared, OVO will refund the monthly discount amount to their bank account shortly after.
If customers pay on receipt of bill
Customers will receive a monthly discount as a credit to their energy account in the first week of each month. Customers will see this on their monthly bills from October.
If customers top up with a smart Pay As You Go meter
OVO will add the monthly discount straight to a customer’s electricity smart meter as a credit in the first week of each month.
If customers top up with a traditional Pay As You Go meter
They will receive vouchers by post within 11 working days of the 1st of each month. Customers can use each voucher at a PayPoint shop to top up their electric or gas meters, or both. Customers have 90 days to redeem each voucher from the date it was issued.
OVO also confirms the following changes will take effect on 1st October 2022:
- No exit fees for customers switching from a fixed tariff onto a variable tariff.
- The Government Energy Price Guarantee will be applied to all customers' bills - they do not need to apply.
- All customers will start to receive the government’s £400 Energy Bill Support Scheme over six months.
- OVO’s £50m Customer Support Package will be available to eligible customers.
Earlier this month OVO announced a £50m Customer Support Package will be available to eligible customers. The package included:
- Financial relief: Direct Debit relief, emergency top-up, and payment holidays for customers struggling to pay for their energy.
- Hardship scheme: Additional funds will be allocated to OVO’s Hardship Scheme, which will provide additional support for customers via a wide range of interventions, accessed through our dedicated support team.
- Specialist support: Dedicated support for customers in the most financial difficulty from a highly-trained team, including support for those in financial difficulty for the first time
- Free services: A range of free and heavily discounted products and services like smart thermostats and boiler servicing.
Find out more about OVO’s Customer Support Package by visiting: www.ovoenergy.com/customer-support-package
Notes to Editors:
For more information please contact: [email protected]
About OVO Energy:
OVO Energy was founded in 2009 and redesigned the energy experience to be fair, effortless, green and simple for all customers. The company has spent the last decade investing in the market leading technology, customer service operations and digital products to help customers cut their carbon emissions. OVO is on a mission through its sustainability strategy Plan Zero to tackle the most important issue of our time; the climate crisis, by bringing our customers with us on the journey towards zero carbon living. OVO Energy has committed to being a net zero carbon business and achieve bold science-based carbon reduction targets, while helping customers reduce their household emissions at the same time.