search-small user-small hamburger-menu close scroll-down star2 blog linkedin facebook twitter instagram plus Icon/lost-search/ic_lost-search_24


From what they are and how to apply, to everything else you need to know.

Closure of the Feed-in Tariff scheme         

On 18 December 2018, the government announced their decision to close the FIT scheme to new applicants from 1 April 2019. No new applications made to the FIT scheme from 1 April 2019 will be accredited, subject to some limited exceptions. For more information, please visit the Ofgem website.


Smart Export Guarantee (SEG) tariff         

SEG aims to provide a route to market for small-scale low carbon generation as an alternative to the Feed in Tariff, which ended in March 2019. From 1 January 2020 all licenced suppliers with over 150,000 domestic customers will need to provide at least one export tariff. For further information on our SEG tariff, you can visit our SEG page here.

What is a Feed-in Tariff (FiT)? How does the FiT scheme work? 

The Feed-in Tariffs (FiTs) scheme is a UK Government initiative designed to encourage people to install a range of small-scale renewable and low-carbon electricity generation technologies. It began back in 2010, giving 20 years of tax-free payments to all eligible customers. 
It works by giving you a Feed-in Tariff (FiT) payment for the electricity you generate, as well as a payment for the electricity you do not use and sell or 'export' to the local electricity grid. You can also use the electricity you generate to power your own home, which should help to save money on your electricity bill.

The scheme covers England, Scotland and Wales, but not Northern Ireland. 

How much money can I earn from my FiT?

It all depends on what renewable technology you installed. You’ll need to offset the upfront cost of installing your system against how much you'll earn from the different elements of the Feed-in Tariff – and the savings you'll make on your energy bills. 
You can find out more about your potential savings and earnings on the Which? website.

How do I apply for a Feed-in Tariff (FiT)?

We’re a FiT licensee at OVO, so we can help you apply for a FiT. Just choose the type of application you need:

  • If you’re already getting the FiT from another company and want to switch to OVO you can transfer your FiT by filling out our FiT Switch Form.
  • If you’re moving into a property or inherited the solar panels where we supplied the previous owner’s FiT, just fill out our FiT Change of Ownership Form.
How do I switch energy suppliers with a FiT?

You’re free to switch to OVO at anytime, even if you have a FiT – start switching online. If you only switch your electricity, your FiT will stay with your original supplier. You need to ensure both accounts are switched as separate requests.


How do I leave OVO with a FiT?

You can switch your electricity away from OVO at anytime – but still keep your FiT with us. Just contact your potential new supplier and start switching.
If you want to switch your FiT too, you’ll need to speak with your new supplier’s FiT team. They’ll contact us through Ofgem to let us know you’re leaving, and will ask you for a reading on the day of your switch. They’ll use this to open your new account with them and close your account with us. We’ll then make sure you get your final statement and payment in the upcoming payment month.

Everything else you need to know about FiTs

When will my FiT payments begin? 

We can only make payments using ‘actual’ readings, so it’s really important that you give us an opening reading on or after the date we receive your application – we’ll call you to ask for this if you send your application via post. If you send your application via email, please ensure the reading is dated the same day we receive your form.
We’ll then send you a reminder in the next reading month (March, June, September or December) to ask for an up-to-date reading. If you give us a reading, you’ll get your first payment up to 7-8 weeks after the end of that month (payments are usually made in August, November, February and May).

How do FiT payments work?

We’ll pay your FiT payment directly into a bank account of your choice. We can’t pay by cheque, into a building society or directly into your OVO account.

When will I get my FiT payment?

We calculate FiT payments once every quarter, based on readings in March, June, September and December. You must give us a generation meter reading before the end of each of these months to get paid for that quarter (if you don’t, you won’t get paid). You’ll then get your FiT payment and statement 7-8 weeks after the end of that month.

How do you calculate the FiT payment?

The first part of your FiT payment is based on the amount your system has generated, using the meter readings you gave us – and the tariff you were given when you first signed up. We calculate the second part of your payment in one of 2 ways, depending on your type of export:

  1.  Deemed Export
    Deemed export is when we estimate the number of generated units you have put back into the National Grid – this is currently estimated at 50% of your total generated units, or 75% for hydro systems.
  2. Metered Export 
    Metered export is when you use your export meter or smart meter to measure the amount of power you’re exporting to the National Grid. It means you get paid exactly the right amount.

Will my FiT payments go up with inflation?

Yes, your Feed-in Tariff payments are adjusted every year to allow for inflation, in line with the Retail Price Index (RPI). For a full list of tariff tables, visit Ofgem’s website.

How is the Feed-in Tariff scheme taxed?

Feed-in Tariff payments are tax free, so long as the electricity you generate is used for domestic purposes. 

If you’re VAT registered (so you have a business at your FIT address), we’ll pay VAT on your export payments. However, you must let us know this when you sign up, otherwise you won’t get them.

When do I need to give readings from my generation meter?

In March, June, September and December. We’ll send you an email reminder at the start of these months and 7 days before the end, with a link to an online form. 

What happens if I forget to give a generation meter reading?

You won’t get a quarterly Feed-in Tariff payment in that period, but as long as you provide a reading for us next time, we’ll make sure you’re paid the full amount for what you’ve generated. So it’ll just be backdated the next time we pay.

How long will it take to switch my existing FiT account to OVO?

It will take 28 working days, starting from the date when you apply to switch your Feed-in Tariff account to us. On your FiT switch date we’ll ask you to take a solar generation reading. This will count as your closing reading with your previous supplier and your opening reading with OVO.
Your previous supplier will continue paying you up to your FiT switch date, and we’ll pay you from then on.

If I switch my FiT account to OVO, will my rates change?

No, you’ll stay on exactly the same rates you’re currently getting for both generation and export.

What happens to my FiT payment if I move house? Does my FiT transfer to the new owner?

If you sell your house, solar panels are usually sold with it (the new owner will need to fill in the Change of Ownership Form). This means the new owners of your home can inherit the FiT and get all future payments from the completion date of the sale. Don’t forget to give final generation meter readings when you leave.
If you want to take the solar panels to your new home, this installation would no longer be eligible for FiT payments, because it’s already been registered under the FiT scheme and couldn’t be registered again at the new address.


What if I have a battery installed?

We need to make sure the electricity that is being recorded on your export meter, is definitely coming from your system, and not from another source. If you have a battery installed, you will need to send us a detailed line diagram clearly showing the direction of energy going from your solar panels to the rest of the installation.

Can I make my system bigger and will it affect my payments? 

You can increase the size of your system if you want, but only to generate extra energy for your home. Under the new Feed-in Tariff rules, any extensions to your system won’t be eligible for the FiT scheme. You can find more info in Section 5.57 of this Ofgem document.
If you do make any changes, you must let us know by email: [email protected]


Meter Verification

As part of Ofgem regulation, licencees/suppliers are required to check a generation meter at least once every two years. Morrison Data Services (MDS) have been conducting these visits on an ad-hoc basis. They will make three attempts over a two week period, should they fail to gain access to the property and meter then the FIT team will contact you directly to arrange a specific appointment for MDS to re-attend.

If we can request that quarterly meter readings are submitted as usual and that we still need to carry out this visit as part of the scheme regulation and to allow access for MDS to carry out the meter verification.

What is a metered export tariff?

A metered export tariff pays you for every kilowatt-hour (kWh) of electricity you export to the National Grid. 

If you have a metered export tariff, you'll need to give readings from both your generation and export meters when we ask for them.

What should I do if my electricity meter moves backwards?

We’ll need to change it for you if you are on supply with OVO. It can happen with some older meters, as they can’t handle the flow of electricity in both directions. So when the solar panels start exporting, the electric meter begins to clock backwards. 
If your electric meter is clocking backwards, please call us on 0330 303 5063 and we’ll arrange for it to be changed. As your solar panels create the problem, we ask you to pay half the cost. That’s £30 including VAT. 

Who should I contact if I’m having problems with my generating equipment? 

You’ll need to speak to your installers. They’ll be able to help with all technical and faulty equipment questions. It’s really important that you let us know if they change your generation meter or any of your equipment, as this could affect your payments.

Who should I contact if I have more questions about my Feed-in Tariff?

Call us on 0330 102 7404. We’re here from 9am until 5pm, Monday to Friday. Outside these times, email [email protected] and we’ll get back to you within 5 working days.

Related FAQs


Find out everything you need to know about Direct Debits – and every other way to pay.

Debt and energy assistance

Find out ‘what’ to do and ‘where’ to get support when you can’t pay your bills.


Find out how to get one if your balance is too high.

Annual statements

Discover what they are – and why we send them.

Winter Fuel Allowance

Discover what it is, how to claim it – and lots of other helpful stuff.

Energy bills explained

Find out how to read your OVO energy bill – and what all the different bits mean.

OVO Interest Reward

OVO Interest Reward is where we pay you interest on your credit balances.

The Warm Home Discount (WHD)

Find out what it is, how you get it – and everything in between.

Cold Weather Payments

Find out what they are, how you qualify – and everything else you need to know.

Statement history

Find out how to get a copy of your statement – and how to ‘go paperless’.

Our Direct Debit reviews explained

Everything you need to know about how they work and why they’re important.

How to set up or change your Direct Debit

Here’s everything you need to know.

How do Direct Debits work?

See how we calculate your Direct Debit amount and why it might change over the course of your contract.

Like most websites OVO Energy uses cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on this site. Accept and Close