search-small user-small hamburger-menu close scroll-down star2 blog linkedin facebook twitter instagram plus Icon/lost-search/ic_lost-search_24

Smart Export Guarantee

Your reward for doing good for the planet.

What’s Smart Export Guarantee (SEG)?

Basically, SEG is a smart idea where people with solar panels, wind turbines (or similar) get paid for putting home-generated green energy onto the grid. This awesome environmental initiative replaces the government’s Feed-in Tariff (FiT) that ended in March 2019. 


Can I get SEG with OVO?

Definitely. We’re proud to say that we’re now an SEG licensee, so if you’re eligible you could get:


Price per kWh

Type of technology

System size

Initial contract

OVO SEG Tariff (AET20)


All eligible technologies

Solar, anaerobic digestion, hydro, wind up to 5MW capacity, up to 50kW for micro-combined heat and power (Micro-CHP)

12 months

Am I eligible for SEG payments?

Yes, depending on a few things. For example, no matter what type of renewable generation you have, your installation has to be located and fully installed in Great Britain. Also:

  • Your installation must be signed up to the Microgeneration Certification Scheme (MCS), or an equivalent scheme that shows your installation is certified.

  • You’ll need a smart meter or an export meter that can measure the electricity you export and take half-hourly readings.

  • Your export meter must have an export Meter Point Administration Number (MPAN). If you don’t have this, we can register one for you.

  • You can’t be receiving FiT export payments when signing up for SEG.

  • You can’t be receiving any public grants that can make you ineligible for SEG.

Go here to read the full terms.


How long does my SEG contract last?

12 months.


How do I sign up for SEG?

Just fill out our application form here. Then, email us your:

  • Proof of ID showing your full name – like a valid passport, driver’s licence, birth certificate, or firearms licence.

  • Proof of ownership for your installation – it can be a paid-in-full invoice, or a letter from your installer, building contractor or solicitor that shows you’re the owner. If the system was already installed when you moved into your home, you’ll need a Land Registry document, and a Fixtures and Fittings form – all clearly showing your name and your address.

  • Proof of address – like a utility bill, or a bank, building society or credit union statement from the last 3 months. You can also send us a council tax bill, an electoral register entry, or an HMRC tax statement for the current year.

  • An MCS certificate or equivalent – you should get this from your installer. You’ll see the certificate number at the top of the document (it’ll look like this: MCS-01234567-A). Or, you might get a Flexi Orb certificate (the number for this will be in the middle of the doc and it’ll look like this: Flexi-01234567890).

  • Distribution Network Operator (DNO) notification. You can find more information here


Good to know:

If you don’t have any of the certificates above or you’re not sure if you’ve got the correct ones, we’ll check it for you. Read more about what you need here.


When will my contract start?

As soon as we have an export MPAN registered for your installation – this can take up to 2 weeks. Once we have it, we’ll get in touch to ask for your meter readings. After that, your contract kicks in. Done.


Do I have to send my meter readings?

Yes. We’ll ask for these every 3 months, and you can take them from your export meter (if you don’t know how, it’s best to get in touch with your installer).

If you’re taking your export readings using your meter, it’s easy:

  • Got a first-generation SMETS1 smart meter from OVO? Then, press the '9' button twice.

  • Got a next-generation SMETS2 smart meter from OVO? Then press the 'A' button 5 times.

Not sure which is which? If your serial number starts with 19P, you’ve got a SMETS1 meter. If it starts with 19M, it’s a SMETS2.

After that, you’ll see your export reading (it’ll be followed by EXPkWh).

The quickest way for you to submit your meter readings is by completing our online form.

Submit reading


Is there a limit on how much electricity I can export?

You can export as much as you want, but the provider of your solar panels will have a set maximum output (you’ll see this on your installation contract). If you extend the capacity of your system, please let us know so we can verify if you are still eligible.


If I’m with you, can you send my SEG payments to my OVO account?

No - those are made separately to your energy ones, directly into your bank account.


If I’m already getting my export paid via FiT, can I switch to SEG?

No. In order to switch to SEG you will first need to stop your FIT export payments (you'll still receive your FIT Generator payments). If you want to opt in and out of your FiT, please note that you can only do this once every 12 months.


If I’m on FiT with another supplier, can I still join OVO?

Of course. If you apply for our SEG tariff then you'll need to stop your FiT export payments. OVO doesn't have to be your consumption supplier for you to apply for our SEG tariff.


What if I move home and I’m on SEG?

Your SEG contract ends when you sell your home. Please provide 28 days notice and supply a closing reading. If the new owners want to receive SEG payments, they’ll need to sign up for it themselves.


I just bought a house with solar panels. What now?

First you need to check if the previous owners were signed up for FIT. If they were, you’ll need to check who the FiT provider is and complete a ‘Change of ownership’ form. Then you can switch to another provider. 

If the panels haven’t been registered for FiT, then you have until 31st March 2020 to do it (as long as your system was installed before this date). After that, you can only get SEG payments which you can apply for here.


My smart meter isn’t working. What should I do?

Let your supplier and us know as soon as possible as this may affect your SEG payments. If your meter is changed, we also need to know to ensure your payments are accurate.


What if I have a battery installed?

We need to make sure the electricity that is being recorded on your export meter, is definitely coming from your system, and not from another source. If you have a battery installed, you will need to send us a detailed line diagram clearly showing the direction of energy going from your solar panels to the rest of the installation.


What if I don’t have copies of the right documents?

There are only certain documents that can make you eligible for SEG (see above). If you don’t have them or can’t send them to us, we’ll have to put your application on hold until we get everything we need. If we don’t hear from you within 3 months, we’ll assume you no longer want to sign up for SEG.


What if I don’t agree with your decision?

We’re more than happy to take another look at your application. But remember that you have to meet all the criteria needed – otherwise we can’t sign you up for SEG payments.


More questions?

You can read more about our terms and conditions, or visit our application guide. If those links don’t help, you can always email us at [email protected] or give us a call on 0330 102 7404 (Mon-Fri 9am-5pm).


Useful links
Like most websites OVO Energy uses cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on this site. Accept and Close