If you think you have a gas leak, call the 24-hour National Gas Emergency service on 0800 111 999. They’ll send someone out to help locate and stop the leak – so you’ll need to be available to let them in.
What to do in a carbon monoxide emergency?
Carbon monoxide (chemical formula CO) is a highly toxic gas. It’s known as the “silent killer” because it can’t be seen, smelt or tasted.
A tension-type headache is the most common symptom of mild carbon monoxide poisoning. And symptoms can easily be mistaken for something else, like a flu, food poisoning, a hangover, or just feeling “under the weather”. It’s crucial that you don’t ignore any of these signs.
Other symptoms include:
Feeling and being sick
Tiredness and confusion
Shortness of breath
Signs that indicate carbon monoxide poisoning, rather than something else include:
Symptoms at home, but which seem to disappear when you leave
Other members of your household (including pets) feel unwell with the same symptoms, at the same time
It’s vital that you’re aware of any signs of carbon monoxide in your home – so check regularly for:
An orange or yellow flame on your gas hob, instead of the usual blue
Dark, sooty stains around gas appliances
More condensation than normal inside your windows
The pilot light on your boiler frequently blowing out
Here’s what to do if you suspect carbon monoxide poisoning:
Stop using all gas appliances. You can turn off all gas appliances at once by using the “emergency control valve”, found on the pipes leading into your gas meter.
Open all doors and windows to get fresh air inside.
Get outside as soon as possible. Stay calm and try not to raise your heart rate.
Who should I contact in a carbon monoxide emergency?
If you’re worried that fumes containing carbon monoxide are escaping from a gas appliance, call the 24-hour National Gas Emergency service on 0800 111 999. Or call your regional gas emergency number.
What to do in case of a power cut?
First up, it’s important to check if there’s a power cut in your area, or simply a problem with the power in your own home. Check the streetlights outside, or your neighbours’ home, to see if it’s an issue in your area. Then, if it’s area-wide:
Switch off all your electric appliances – especially the ones that shouldn’t be left unattended, such as microwaves or heaters. You don’t want them coming back on at a random time! This will also protect your appliances from electrical surges, which can happen during power cuts.
Leave one lightswitch turned “on”, so you’ll be able to tell if the power comes back.
Call 105 to report the power cut to your network distributor.
Or if it’s just a problem in your home, first check your fuse box, to see if a switch has been tripped. If not:
Switch everything off at the plug.
Leave one light switch in the “on” position so you can see if the power comes back on.
If you have a prepayment meter, check that it’s topped up. Empty? That could be the cause of your problem, and you’ll need to activate your emergency credit, or top it up with cash.
Next, check your fuse box: first, turn off the main switch.
Follow up by turning off all the individual switches, one by one.
Next, turn the main switch back on.
Then, flip each of the smaller switches back on, again one by one.
If any of the switches flips itself back to the “off” position automatically, it has “tripped”. That means that there’s a fault.
You can tell where the fault is by paying attention to which switch flips. It could be telling you that something in that circuit is wrong – for example, you could have a faulty appliance plugged in. Try unplugging the appliance, and going back to step one to try again.
If that doesn’t work, or if there seems to be a fault but you don’t know what it is, it’s time to call an electrician. Don’t attempt to do any electrical work yourself.
Your first port of call is to alert your Distribution Network Operator, or DNO. You can find out how to contact them by calling the National Power Cut Helpline on 105. This free helpline will connect you to your DNO.
To avoid electric shocks happening in the first place, it’s really important to have good electrical safety habits. So take fast action against faulty switches, frayed wires, and defective appliances.
Accidents can still happen – so here’s what to do if you witness someone having an electric shock:
Consider your own safety first. Before you touch the casualty, check to see if they’re still in contact with the source of the shock. If they are, they’ll still be “live” – so touching them means you might end up being shocked yourself.
Turn off the electricity – either by pulling out the plug, switching it off at the wall, or turning off the power supply in your fusebox. It might be quicker to try to break the connection between the casualty and the object (the live wire or appliance) using a non-conducting object made of cardboard, plastic or wood, such as a broom or a mop.
Check the casualty. Ask them if they can hear you, and to open their eyes. Don’t move them unless the situation is critical.
If the casualty’s conscious: it’s important to monitor their condition for several hours after the shock. If they experience any confusion, difficulty breathing, irregular heartbeat, muscle pain and/or contractions, seizures, or loss of consciousness, take them to A&E immediately.
If the casualty’s unconscious: Call 999 immediately and ask for the emergency medical services. Check the casualty’s breathing. If they’re breathing normally, put them in the recovery position and stay with them until help arrives. If the person shows no sign of circulation, such as breathing or movement, begin CPR (cardiopulmonary resuscitation). To do this:
Make sure the casualty is lying flat on a firm surface
Place your hands on top of one another in the centre of the casualty’s chest
Compress their chest (by 5-6 cm) 30 times swiftly
After 30 compressions, tilt their head back and lift their chin, seal their nostrils with your thumb and forefinger and blow steadily into their mouth until you see their chest rise
Remove your mouth and wait until their chest falls, then repeat until you’ve given 2 rescue breaths in total
If the casualty remains unresponsive, begin the process again
Who should I contact in case of an electric shock?
Call 999 immediately and ask for the emergency medical services.
What to do in case of a PAYG emergency?
These days, most prepaid meters will give you some emergency credit, and a bit of extra time to top up before you actually go “off supply”. But if you don’t top up within a set time, your meter will disconnect.
If you’re on Smart PAYG with our sister company, Boost, your supply will come back as soon as you top up. But it can be inconvenient if you run out of credit in the middle of the night, or on a bank holiday. For that reason, your meter won’t cut off (even if you’ve used up all your emergency credit):
During the night – between 4pm and 9.59am, Monday to Friday
Any time between 4pm on Friday and 9.59 am on Monday
Any time during English bank holidays
If you have a long-term health condition or a disability, or could otherwise be at risk if you lose power, a prepayment meter is probably not right for you. But if there’s a PAYG emergency relating to your health and wellbeing, contact your supplier straight away.
Who should I contact in case of a PAYG emergency?
If you’re a Boost customer and there’s an emergency with your prepayment meter, call Boost on 0800 358 3523.
Join OVO, for a lower-carbon life!
Want to use your energy for good? Welcome to OVO! Together, we can use green energy and tech to cut waste and live lower-carbon lives.
If you’re not yet with OVO, check out our competitive pay monthly plans, with 100% green electricity as standard. Join us and see if you can cut your carbon footprint, and save money on your energy bills, too.
If you need a hand, don’t hesitate to get in touch. There’s more help available in the OVO Forum. And if you don't find the answers you need, feel free to ask a question, and one of our forum members will be happy to help!