OVO EV Charger purchase and installation – Terms and Conditions
Last Updated: 6 April 2023
These are our terms and conditions for supplying and installing your EV Charger (the Terms). By purchasing an EV Charger from us you agree to be bound by these Terms. Please read them carefully. Please note that you don’t need to be an OVO energy customer to purchase an EV Charger from us and use our installation service.
The below words have the following meanings when they are used in this document:
- “EV Charger” your charging unit (excluding accessories) to be used with a plug in electric vehicle
- “we”, “us” or “our” is OVO (S) Gas Limited. Our address is 1 Rivergate, Temple Quay, Bristol, United Kingdom, BS1 6ED;
- “you” are the person who has purchased an EV Charger from us;
2. Your quote
2.1 After you have chosen your EV Charger and entered your details on our website, you will be sent a link to a remote survey by text message. When you have completed the online survey, (which may include providing pictures of your property including the potential charger location) we will email you a charger installation quote for the work and also let you know if we think any additional work needs doing before your charger can be installed. You will then be directed to our website to complete your purchase and make payment. Your order will not be confirmed until you receive an email confirming that your order has been accepted.
2.2 Your charger installation quote will include the purchase cost of your EV Charger and the cost of a standard installation (see below for details of what is included). If your survey shows that you need any additional work carried out on top of a standard installation your quote will also detail exactly what additional work needs to be done and the cost of this work. Please note that your quote price is still subject to change depending on whether any additional work is required following a site visit by the engineer.
2.3 A standard installation includes:
- The fitting of the ChargePoint on a brick/rendered wall;
- Up to 15 metres of 6mm power cable, run and neatly clipped direct to the wall between the distribution board or electricity supply meter location and the ChargePoint
- Routing of the cable through 1 drilled hole in a wall up to 500mm (20 inches) thick, where needed
- The fitting and testing of electrical connections and protections required for the ChargePoint
- Up to 5 metres of white plastic containment to conceal interior wiring
- To be carried out by 1 engineer and installed in compliance with the current British Standard Wiring Regulations (BS7671) and any associated documents/codes of practice, as well as the charge point manufacturers instructions
- Charge point to be fully commissioned and support provided to pair with customers mobile device where applicable (mobile device & customer need to be available to engineer at time of commissioning)
- Existing electrical installation within the property is in an acceptable condition and that no groundworks/civil works, electrical remedial works or any other trades are required. If any of these are required, OVO will advise however would need to be self enabled by the customer. Earth bonding upgrades may be carried out for an additional cost. Main isolation switches can be fitted for OVO customers on the day of install for an additional cost.
2.4 Any quote issued is valid for 14 days and work must begin within 12 months of acceptance. After this we may not be able to honour the quote, and we might need to issue another one. All prices include VAT at the current rate.
2.5 If for any reason, we are unable to accept your order including where we are unable to install the charger at your property for any reason, we will contact you to let you know.
2.6 At present we do not sell chargers without installation and we don’t install third party chargers which haven’t been purchased from us or charger accessories.
3. Additional work
3.1 If you need extra work which is not included in our standard installation package, we'll explain what work is needed and why, and agree to any additional costs with you before starting work. Please note that the only electrical upgrade work that we will carry out will be electrical bonding or fitting an isolator switch (if on supply with OVO at the time of installation) . If any additional electrical upgrade work or groundworks/civil works are required prior to installation you will need to arrange for this to be done separately.
3.2 If you wish to proceed with the work you will be asked to agree to an updated quote and make payment via our website.
3.3 Please note that if any data you provide when applying on our website or when doing the virtual survey is not accurate, we may need to issue an updated quote before starting work or you might incur additional costs after the work has already started. You will be under no obligation to proceed with this additional work and you will be entitled to a refund of the price you paid for your charger. We reserve the right to charge you for the engineer visit and for any work we have already carried out.
3.4 Occasionally we may only be able to determine that extra work outside is required when the engineer visits your property on the day of installation. We will always agree to any additional work and any extra costs with you before starting work. You will be under no obligation to proceed with this additional work and you will be entitled to a refund of the price you paid for your charger. Sometimes this extra work outside can be done on the same day or if it is more complex we may need to book another separate appointment to complete the work and install your EV Charger.
4. Your appointment
4.1 We’ll start the work at a time and date we agree with you. When you confirm your order we will send you a date and time slot for your appointment. If you need to change this you should call us as soon as possible.
4.2 You will need to ensure that there is someone over 18 at your property on the day who can make decisions about the installation, agree to the work and sign paperwork on your behalf.
Changing your appointment date
4.3 Times and dates we provide you for your appointments are estimates only but we will do our best to stick to these where possible. We may sometimes need to change the date of your appointment. If we need to do this, we will always try and give you as much notice as we can. We will not be responsible to you for any loss or inconvenience you suffer as a result of us changing your appointment date or time.
4.4 If you need to change your appointment date or time, please give us at least 48 hours notice. If you give us less than 48 hours notice we reserve the right to charge you our reasonable costs incurred for a missed appointment. Please contact: [email protected] or call 0330 303 5059 (Mon-Fri 9am-5pm) excluding bank holidays
5.1 We will only be able to install your EV Charger if:
- You have designated off-road parking.
- Your existing electrical installation is in an acceptable condition including that the electrical capacity (e.g. main fuse) at your property can support the additional electrical demands of a charge point.
- You are the homeowner.
- Any remedial works/groundworks identified at survey stage have been completed.
- It’s safe to install an EV Charger.
5.2 If the electrical capacity is not sufficient, we may have to pause the job until your main fuse is upgraded by your electricity supplier.
5.3 If the electrical arrangements or anything else at the property means it’s unsafe to install a charge point, we won’t start or complete the installation until you resolve the issue. We also won’t tolerate any physical or verbal abuse.
5.4 If we aren’t able to complete an Installation in a single appointment, we’ll make an additional appointment to complete the work. Subject to any fees we’ve told you about, you won’t be charged additional fees for this additional appointment.
5.5 To book an installation you will need to be the owner of the property.
6. Damage to fixtures and fittings
We may have to do work which could cause damage to walls, paint and insulation (for example, we may need to do some wiring inside your property to install the charge point). We won’t be liable to you for any costs to repair or redecorate your property, unless we have been negligent with our work. We recommend removing anything fragile or valuable from the area prior to work commencing.
7. What happens if we can’t install the EV Charger?
7.1 Sometimes we may not be able to install your EV Charger if your property is unsuitable. This could be for a variety of reasons including where we can’t access the installation point or it is not safe for us to do so, for example, if you have other building work being done.
7.2 If we can’t install the EV Charger because we can’t get access to your property or the information you have provided to us in the survey or your application was incorrect then we reserve the right to charge you for our reasonable costs for the failed appointment.
8. Activating your charger
Once your Charger is active, you’ll be able to charge your EV straight away. If you have a Smart Charger, you will be able to access and create an account for the manufacturer’s Smart Charger app. You can access the Smart Features (which may vary depending on the Smart Charger) using the app. If you allow your car charging to be managed by the Smart Features, those features may, for example, shift charging to off-peak to minimise the charging costs
In order for your EV Charger to work at its most efficient you will need to ensure that it is connected to the internet. Once your EV Charger is connected to the internet you will receive software updates to download as well as diagnostic updates. In order for your EV Charger to work correctly you will need to ensure that you always download the latest software updates for the Charger and any related app, these can be done over the air. You may also invalidate your charger’s warranty if you don’t install the required updates. If you want to use the smart charging features of your charger it will need to be connected to the internet and you will also have to download the relevant manufacturer's app.
10.1 Once we have carried out the Installation and your account is paid in full, you will become the owner of the Charger. You are responsible for it being used in accordance with these terms and conditions, including, but not limited to:
- following the Manufacturer’s instructions and any other oral or written instructions we give you;
- not misusing, neglecting, tampering with or damaging the Charger (including by disassembling it);
- not attempting to, and not allowing any third party to carry out any repairs, replacement, modifications or alterations on the Charger in any way;
- ensuring the space surrounding the Charger is suitable and safe for use, as instructed by us or our Installers.
10.2 Your EV Charger will be covered by its manufacturer guarantee, a copy of this will be provided to you upon installation.
10.3 If there is a problem with the work we have carried out then we will fix this free of charge for a period of 3 years following installation. Please note that this is a separate warranty from your manufacturer’s warranty. This warranty also doesn’t apply to any charge point or charger accessories.
10.4 This warranty won’t apply where:
- you haven’t used your EV Charger correctly or against the manufacturer’s instructions or you have tampered with, deliberately damaged or modified it.
- someone other than OVO has carried out repair work on it;
- you continue to use the EV Charger after you have been told to stop using it due to a health and safety issue or the risk of causing further damage to it;
- you don’t let us know about a fault within a reasonable period after discovering it
- the problem is caused by unrelated issues such as an issue with the electrical wiring at your property or a problem with your EV itself.
- you have load balancing equipment which reduces the charge drawn by your charge point to ensure that total demand at your property does not exceed total supply
10.5 If you have a problem with your charger we recommend that you contact the Charger manufacturer in the first instance:
If you have an Ohme charger please call them on 020 3375 1586 or email at [email protected]
If you have an Indra charger please call them on 01684 770 631 or email at [email protected]
11. How we use your data
By purchasing your EV Charger you agree that we may contact you by email and text with updates about your Charger.
12. Our liability
12.1 Subject to Section 12.3, we will not be liable under any circumstances for:
- any damage to your property done during the installation unless we have been negligent;
- any loss you suffer due to providing us with misleading or incorrect information or not getting the correct permissions for the installation to go ahead;
- the cost of repairing pre-existing faults or issues with your property or energy supply that we discover during installation
- any loss suffered by you including damage to your devices as a result of your use of any apps relating to your EV Charger and any software you install
- any damage you may suffer as a result of not using your EV Charger in accordance with our or the manufacturer’s instructions
- any costs or losses arising from any cancellation or delay to the installation as a result of matters outside of our control
- any loss or savings, profit or business
12.2 Nothing in these Terms affects our liability to you for death or personal injury as a result of our negligence, fraud or fraudulent misrepresentation.
12.3 Subject to Section 12.2, if you suffer any loss or damage as a direct result of something we’ve done (including where we have been negligent), our maximum liability to you will be no more than £10,000 per event or series of events if they’re connected.
13.1 You can cancel your order any time up until the date of installation and receive a full refund. This is called your Cooling Off Period. To cancel your order, please contact 0330 303 5059 (Mon-Fri (9am-5pm) excluding bank holidays or email [email protected]. If you cancel before we have started any work, we will refund you any money you have already paid in full. Please allow up to 10 days for your refund to reach your bank account.
13.2 If you cancel after we have started work you will have to pay for any work we’ve already carried out, and/or the cost of the EV Charger and any other goods we’ve supplied to you if they have already been installed.
13.3 You also have a legal cooling off period of 14 days from the day after we confirm your order, if you want us to start work during this period you will need to confirm to us in writing that you are happy for us to do so as you will have to pay for the work we have carried out and your charger if it has already been installed if you then change your mind.
13.4 We will deduct any monies owing to us from the amount you have already paid to us. If you owe us more than you have already paid we will send you a bill for the outstanding amount.
13.5 We can cancel your installation at any time by giving you written notice.
What happens if I move house?
13.6 If you move, we won’t be able to uninstall or move your EV Charger.
14. Complaints and contacting us
If you need support, you can call on 0330 303 5059 (Mon-Fri 9am-5pm) excluding bank holidays or email [email protected]
15.1 We can make changes to these Terms or our EV Charger offering at any time. We’ll post the updated Terms on our website. The date these Terms were last updated is at the top of this page. The version of these Terms which will apply to your EV Charger Installation will be the one which is sent to you with your order confirmation.
15.2 Only you can enforce these Terms. We can transfer any of our rights or obligations under these Terms at any time to another company but we will let you know if we are going to do this (unless it is one of our group companies).
15.3 These Terms are governed by the laws of England and Wales if your property is in England or Wales, and in Scotland if your property is in Scotland.