Secure Liberty 100 smart meters: a complete guide
07 January 2022 | OVO Energy
The Secure Liberty 100 smart meter is a pretty neat piece of kit. It has a communication hub to display your home’s dual fuel or single energy use. It offers a range of handy features, and a future-proof design.
Although this smart meter was one of the first generation SMETS1 meters to be installed, all of them are now being remotely upgraded to work with all suppliers. Further remote firmware upgrades can update the features and functionality on the meter and communications hub, should it be necessary. The Secure Liberty 100 modules can also be replaced, to ensure your smart meter is always up to date.
Benefits of the Secure Liberty 100 smart meter
With so many different smart meters around, it can be confusing. But if you have the Secure Liberty 100, you’re onto a good thing. It’s many features include:
- A modular communication module: This allows for multiple Wider Area Network (WAN) and Home Area Network (HAN) options. These networks make it possible for your smart meter to send your electricity and gas use data to your supplier or mobile phone.
- Multiple communication options: These options include long-range radio and GPRS.
- Payment options to suit you: The Liberty 100 also gives customers the option to choose between credit and pay-as-you-go modules. They’re even able to remotely switch between these. The keypad accepts pay-as-you-go tokens if the Wider Area Network isn’t available, with the meter maintaining the tariffs and account information.
- It’s simple to install: As well as being future-proof, thanks to its remote upgrades, the registration and pairing process for the Secure Liberty 100 is straightforward.
- It can help you cut down on your energy use: Once you’re all set up and ready to go, you’ll also be able to use the Secure Liberty 100 smart meter to monitor your energy use. This should give you the information you need to help make savings!
Will my Secure Liberty 100 smart meter work with OVO?
At OVO, we can communicate with a wide range of smart meters to suit all our members. That includes Secure Liberty meters, such as the Secure Liberty 100, as well as the 110, and gas Secure Liberty EG4v10 models. So if you have a Secure Liberty smart meter and want to switch to OVO, there should be no problem.
Secure Liberty 100 smart meter manual
The Secure Liberty 100 smart meter keypad has a few different displays, which you can view by selecting the numbered buttons on the keypad. You can find a detailed explanation of the Secure Liberty 100/110 keypad functions here, but as a quick breakdown, the button displays include:
- Cost of consumption by day: what your energy usage is costing you on a daily basis
- Cost of consumption by week: your energy usage costs on a weekly basis
- Cost of consumption by month: the cost of your energy usage on a monthly basis
- Historic data on cost of consumption and units: how much energy you have used and what it has cost you in the past
When it comes to how to read a Secure Liberty 100 meter though, it’s the button labelled 6 on your keypad that you’ll need to use. You can find out more on how to check a meter reading on a Secure Liberty 100 below.
As well as the different numbered buttons, you’ll also see a blue A and red B button on the keypad. The A button is for prepayment customers, and has multiple functions. It activates vend mode, which lets you manually add credit to your smart meter. It can also be used to start the reconnection process (to get your supply reconnected), or enable Emergency Credit, which gives you extra credit to make sure your energy supply isn’t stopped.
The B button can be used to activate auto scroll display, mute the alarm, or confirm supply reconnection, amongst other functions. You can find more details in your user manual.
How to read a Secure Liberty 100 meter
When it comes to taking a Secure Liberty 100 meter reading, you’ll need to select the button labelled 6 on the keypad. You’ll see the following information:
- Your tariff name
- Daily standing charge
- Active rate register(s)
- Consumption and cost per unit recorded
All you need to do is press the 6 button until you see IMP R01 on the display. This will be your R1 reading, which is your day reading. If you are on an Economy 7 electricity tariff, you can click the button again to see IMP R02, which signifies your R2 reading – or night reading.
If you wish to take a note of these meter readings, you can write them down, ignoring any numbers after the decimal point. Remember though that with the Wide Area Network (WAN) and Home Area Network (HAN) features, the Secure Liberty 100 smart meter can securely send your energy use data to your supplier for you, without you having to lift a finger!
Secure Liberty 100 smart meter FAQs
OVO Greenlight: easy wins for a greener home
Thanks to a smart meter you’ll get the best of OVO Greenlight. We’ll use its regular readings to show you exactly where your energy goes – and bring you personalised energy-saving tips too! Good times.
OVO Greenlight brings you:
- Weekly breakdowns of where you use (and can save) energy
- Live updates showing the greenest times to power up
- Your home’s energy carbon footprint compared to others
OVO Greenlight helps you:
- Do more for the planet
- Take control of your energy use (and bills!)
- Discover the greenest time to use energy