What’s a Feed-in Tariff (FiT) and how do I apply?

A Feed-in Tariff (FiT) is a government initiative that pays you for the electricity you generate.

Feed in tariffs

FITs began back in 2010, giving 20 years of tax-free payments to all eligible customers.

They may help you to save money on your electricity bill, as you'll be using your own electricity.

How can I qualify for the FiT?         

First, you need to decide how you want to generate your energy. The FiT covers solar photovoltaic (PV), wind, hydro, micro combined heat and power (CHP) and anaerobic digestion. You can find out more about each one on the Energy Saving Trust website.  

Next, you’ll need to speak to a Microgeneration Certification Scheme (MCS) accredited installation company, who’ll be able to give you more detail and fit your choice of system for you.

You can find details of your local MCS accredited installers on The Microgeneration Certification Scheme (MCS) website.  

How do I apply for the FiT?

We’re a FiT licensee at OVO, so we can help you apply for the FiT. Choose the type of application you need:

  • If you’ve just had a new MCS-accredited installation and haven’t had FiT payments before, just fill out our FiT Sign up form. 

Fill out our FiT sign up form here

  • If you’re already receiving the FiT from another company but are thinking about switching to OVO, please read the information under the heading ‘What if I want to switch an existing FiT account to OVO? here, and then just fill out our FiT Switch form.

Fill out our FiT switch form here

  • If you’re moving into a property where we supplied the previous owner’s FiT, just fill out our FiT Change of Ownership form.

Fill out our FiT Change of Ownership form here

Need helping filling in your FiT form?

Who’s the Nominated Recipient?

As the owner of the generation system, you are the ‘generator’. If you choose to nominate somebody else to receive the tariff payments, they’re the ‘Nominated Recipient’.

What’s my OS reference number and do you need it?

The OS reference is from an Ordnance Survey map. We only need this if your installation is linked to a property that doesn’t have a registered address or postcode, or is located somewhere without an address, such as a field. Ofgem needs to keep track of where the installation is, so this is done by OS reference.

How do I know if I’m on-grid or off-grid?

If you get electricity from the National Grid then you’re on-grid. If you live in a property with no electricity (other than what you generate) you are probably off-grid.

What type of export payment do I want?

You’ve got 4 options:

  • PPA (Power Purchase agreement): If you install a large system (over 100 kWh) then we may be interested in buying your exported power from you at an increased rate. This is a separate contract that would be managed outside your FiTs.
  • Deemed Export (most domestic customers):This is where we estimate the number of generated units you have put back into the National Grid – this is currently estimated at 50% of your total generated units, or 75% for hydro systems.
  • Metered Export: If you’ve got one of our Smart Meters fitted, this is the export choice for you. Our Smart Meters can measure the amount of power you export, so we can pay you for exactly what you give back to the grid. If you’ve got an installation of 30 kWh or above you must have an export meter fitted – just ask us and we can give you more details of this process.
  • No Export: If you’re off-grid, this is the payment type for you.

What declarations do I need to sign?

Most customers will need to tick boxes 1 and 6 and sign the corresponding declarations. In short, these declarations are:

  • Declaration 1: As long as your property has reached level D or above on its Energy Performance Certificate, you need to sign this declaration. 
  • Declaration 2: If your installation isn’t wired to an EPC-assessable building you need to sign declaration 2. 
  • Declaration 3: If your property hasn’t reached level D or above on its Energy Performance Certificate, you’ll need to sign this declaration. 
  • Declaration 4: If you’re applying on behalf of a school or community energy installation, sign this. 
  • Declaration 5: If you have more than 25 separate installations on separate properties, you’ll need to sign this one. 
  • Declaration 6: If you have less than 25 solar installations (16 solar panels on 1 roof is considered as 1 installation on the property), sign this.

Do you accept electronic signatures?  

No. You’ll need to sign copies of all relevant pages we've sent you before we can process your application. We can accept freehand signatures on the computer if your PDF viewer allows you to do this. Or you can print off the application, sign the pages, then scan and email them to us, or post them (the address is on the forms).

Ofgem is strict on their guidance and if we receive your application without your signature, your FiT won’t start until we’ve got your signatures.

Like most websites OVO Energy uses cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on this site. Accept and Close