We spend a lot of time talking about ways to make your house more eco-friendly and energy-efficient, but for the last word in true green living, check out these amazing architectural creations.
1) Balanced precariously on top of an artificial hill, this striking structure is designed to work in harmony with the Australian seasons, blocking out the cold winter sun and allowing warm summer rays to heat the house naturally. A rooftop garden helps to control the temperature, too!
2) This beautiful bridge house retains its modern charms while managing to blend perfectly into its scenic background. It may look basic, but the house boasts natural ventilation, thermal windows, heat-absorbing floors, solar panels and a rainwater recycling system.
3) A stunning blend of contemporary design and natural living, this house – made from natural and sustainable materials – has been designed to have a minimal impact on its surroundings and can be assembled within five days!
4) This futuristic-looking house may seem a little cold and unwelcoming, but it’s actually packed full of eco-friendly features designed to make living there a dream. Powered by wind and solar power, it’s completely self-sufficient.
5) This deceptively-spacious home is built into the side of a moor, giving it tremendous insulation power, retaining heat in winter and cooling the house in summer.
6) These oddly-shaped homes are so conceptual they’re still in the design stages! These modular dwellings are 90% recyclable and 70% more efficient than the average home. Could you imagine living inside a giant egg?
7) Despite its basic construction materials – bamboo and packed earth – this Vietnamese home incorporates some serious green technology, including a solar cell system, a rainwater recycling unit and a geothermal heating system.
8) This angular abode is situated in Canada, which is dealt a tumultuous hand when it comes to the weather. Its low profile and eco-friendly heat pump protects it from icy wind, while its green roof and large windows keep things cool when the temperature rises.
9) Like a rabbit’s burrow, this Swiss house nestles neatly into the side of a hill, so as to preserve the area’s stunning scenery. The surrounding earth keeps the house at a steady temperature, while large windows let in loads of light.
10) Who says eco-friendly homes require splashing the cash? This apartment block in West Hollywood has been designed with both environment and income in mind, and features solar power, eco-heating and an internal bamboo forest!
OVO Energy Ltd, registered office 1 Rivergate Temple Quay Bristol, BS1 6ED, company no. 06890795 registered in England and Wales, VAT No. 100119879
Additional terms and conditions
Please see below for full terms and conditions on 33% renewable electricity, 3% interest rewards, exit fees and saving claims.
1Monthly cost - Representative monthly direct debit costs based on a non-economy-7, dual-fuel, medium user (3100 kWhs elec. and 12500 kWhs gas) paying in advance by direct debit, including online discount. All rates correct as of 23/08/16, but may go up or down.
2Weekly cost - Representative weekly costs based on a non-economy-7, dual-fuel, medium user (3100 kWhs elec. and 12500 kWhs gas). All rates correct as of 23/08/16, but may go up or down.
3Pay Monthly Savings are based on the average estimated annual costs for new PAYM OVO customers quoted through the OVO website (based on household and/or consumption information provided by those customers), compared to their current supplier and tariff. Comparisons taken between 01/01/2016 and 11/10/16. Incl VAT. Actual savings may vary according to your current supplier or tariff, individual tariff options, household information, consumption and location.
4Pay As You Go Savings are based on the average estimated annual costs for new PAYG OVO customers quoted through the OVO website (based on household and/or consumption information provided by those customers), compared to their current supplier and tariff. Comparisons taken between 01/01/2016 and 11/10/16. Incl VAT. Actual savings may vary according to your current supplier or tariff, individual tariff options, household information, consumption and location.
We include almost twice as much renewable electricity as the national average: At least 33% of electricity in all of our tariffs comes from renewable sources. The national average, according to Ofgem as at March 2014 was 16.7%. For more information please visit this page.
33% of your electricity comes from renewable sources: 33% renewable electricity as standard as of 1st April 2015. Renewable electricity is generated from wind, solar, geothermal, wave, tidal, hydro, biomass, landfill gas, sewage treatment plant gas and biogas.
3% interest: Calculated at 3% per year, paid monthly based on number of days in credit and the amount left in your account after you’ve paid your bill. OVO Interest Reward is capped at 12 times the amount of the current direct debit amount and is available to customers paying by advance direct debit. Terms apply: http://www.ovoenergy.com/terms/
95% of new customers save when switching to OVO: Based on all new customer signups between 01/02/2016 and 31/07/2016
94% of surveyed customers would recommend us: OVO conducted a survey of their customers in between 1st January 2016 and 15th April 2016. Out of 15,312 customers who responded, over 94% rated OVO 6+ when asked 'how likely would you be to recommend us to a friend and family, on a scale of 1 to 10.
Britain's top rated energy provider: Britain's top rated energy provider in the Which? 2015 satisfaction survey. Survey conducted in October 2015. Awarded in January 2016.
uSwitch's Energy Supplier of the Year: OVO energy was voted and awarded 'Energy Supplier of the year' and best for: Overall Customer Satisfaction, Most Likely to be Recommended, Value for Money, Best Deal for You, Customer Service, Billing Services, Energy Efficiency, Meter Services, Online Services, Green Services and Transfer Process. OVO Energy scored a 96% customer satisfaction score.