Green gas

It’s the eco-friendly alternative to natural gas

Green gas is kinder, cleaner, and fossil fuel-free.

Upgrade to OVO Beyond today to power your home with 100% carbon-neutral energy. That includes 15% green gas (one of the greenest mixes around!).

We offset the rest.

Upgrade now

What is green gas?


Green gas is the climate-friendly cousin of natural gas. 

You might sometimes hear it called “biomethane” or “biogas”. It’s released when food or other natural waste, like manure or crops, biodegrades. This process is called anaerobic digestion. 

Just like natural gas, biogas is sent to the national gas grid, where it’s then pumped into homes across the UK. It works just the same as regular, ‘non-green’ gas, powering your heating, hot water, and cooking.

what is green gas

What is green gas?


Green gas is the climate-friendly cousin of natural gas. 

You might sometimes hear it called “biomethane” or “biogas”. It’s released when food or other natural waste, like manure or crops, biodegrades. This process is called anaerobic digestion. 

Just like natural gas, biogas is sent to the national gas grid, where it’s then pumped into homes across the UK. It works just the same as regular, ‘non-green’ gas, powering your heating, hot water, and cooking.

what is green gas

What is natural gas?


Natural gas is a type of nasty fossil fuel. It’s non-renewable and burning it releases carbon dioxide into the atmosphere – making climate change worse.

It’s mostly made up of methane, and comes from the fossilised remains of ancient animals and plants underground. It’s been down there for millions of years, and is released by drilling or fracking.

natural gas

What is natural gas?


Natural gas is a type of nasty fossil fuel. It’s non-renewable and burning it releases carbon dioxide into the atmosphere – making climate change worse.

It’s mostly made up of methane, and comes from the fossilised remains of ancient animals and plants underground. It’s been down there for millions of years, and is released by drilling or fracking.

natural gas

Where does green gas come from?


Green gas is a much newer (and cleaner) source of energy! It’s the result of an organic process called anaerobic digestion. This is where bacteria are used to break down food waste, manure, crops, and other naturally-occurring things.

Because the process of making green gas only uses organic things, the carbon released into the atmosphere is equal to the carbon those things absorbed as they grew. This means that green gas is close to carbon neutral

Both types of gas – natural and green – are supplied to homes from the same gas grid. So we can’t guarantee that the gas that reaches our members’ homes is green gas – no supplier can.

But to prove that the grid is being topped up with as much green gas as you’re paying for, we buy Renewable Gas Guarantee of Origin (RGGO) certificates.

green gas

Where does green gas come from?


Green gas is a much newer (and cleaner) source of energy! It’s the result of an organic process called anaerobic digestion. This is where bacteria are used to break down food waste, manure, crops, and other naturally-occurring things.

Because the process of making green gas only uses organic things, the carbon released into the atmosphere is equal to the carbon those things absorbed as they grew. This means that green gas is close to carbon neutral

Both types of gas – natural and green – are supplied to homes from the same gas grid. So we can’t guarantee that the gas that reaches our members’ homes is green gas – no supplier can.

But to prove that the grid is being topped up with as much green gas as you’re paying for, we buy Renewable Gas Guarantee of Origin (RGGO) certificates.

green gas

Benefits of green gas

Burning fossil fuels releases carbon dioxide, which makes the climate crisis worse. But biogas is nearly carbon neutral!

Green gas is renewable – we can get more food and farm waste, but we can’t get more natural gas once we’ve run out.

It’s a good use for waste, rather than sending it to landfill!

Join OVO and upgrade to green gas

How does green gas work?


Green gas works in exactly the same way as natural gas!

After it’s created in an anaerobic digestion plant, it gets sent to the national gas grid. From there, gas travels to your home, where it fires up your central heating and lights your hob.

Just a few years ago, there was no green gas produced in the UK. Even now, it’s more expensive than natural gas, as there’s not as much of it to go around. But as more and more homes go green, the good news is that it should get cheaper and more readily available.

Find out more about our green energy.

green gas

How does green gas work?


Green gas works in exactly the same way as natural gas!

After it’s created in an anaerobic digestion plant, it gets sent to the national gas grid. From there, gas travels to your home, where it fires up your central heating and lights your hob.

Just a few years ago, there was no green gas produced in the UK. Even now, it’s more expensive than natural gas, as there’s not as much of it to go around. But as more and more homes go green, the good news is that it should get cheaper and more readily available.

Find out more about our green energy.

green gas

What is carbon neutral gas?


We supply our OVO Beyond members with 100% carbon neutral gas. But what does that actually mean?

It means that our OVO Beyond members receive 15% green gas. This might not sound like loads, but it’s one of the highest percentages you can get here in the UK! And we also go one step further, by offsetting the carbon emissions of the other 85%. This makes the total gas supply carbon neutral. 

Carbon offsetting is all about taking responsibility for your carbon footprint. By supporting projects that reduce emissions and fight climate change.

Here at OVO, we support brilliant tree-planting and conservation efforts around the world. Find out more about our carbon offsetting.

Want to fight climate change in your day-to-day life? Here’s some key ways to reduce your carbon footprint at home.

carbon neutral gas

What is carbon neutral gas?


We supply our OVO Beyond members with 100% carbon neutral gas. But what does that actually mean?

It means that our OVO Beyond members receive 15% green gas. This might not sound like loads, but it’s one of the highest percentages you can get here in the UK! And we also go one step further, by offsetting the carbon emissions of the other 85%. This makes the total gas supply carbon neutral. 

Carbon offsetting is all about taking responsibility for your carbon footprint. By supporting projects that reduce emissions and fight climate change.

Here at OVO, we support brilliant tree-planting and conservation efforts around the world. Find out more about our carbon offsetting.

Want to fight climate change in your day-to-day life? Here’s some key ways to reduce your carbon footprint at home.

carbon neutral gas

Power your home with green gas


Feeling green with envy?

switch to OVO today and upgrade to OVO Beyond for 100% carbon neutral gas. 

OVO Beyond members are helping us to drive up demand for green gas in the UK. That’s no small feat: in fact, it’s a vital step towards powering our homes in a decarbonised, eco-friendly way.

Join the green gas revolution today.

Get a quote
green gas

Power your home with green gas


Feeling green with envy?

switch to OVO today and upgrade to OVO Beyond for 100% carbon neutral gas. 

OVO Beyond members are helping us to drive up demand for green gas in the UK. That’s no small feat: in fact, it’s a vital step towards powering our homes in a decarbonised, eco-friendly way.

Join the green gas revolution today.

Get a quote
green gas

Already with OVO?

You can still drive change by referring a friend – and we’ll give you a £50 gift card to say thanks!

Learn more about renewable energy

carbon footprint

How to reduce your carbon footprint

Here’s some simple steps to be more planet-friendly and cut down your carbon footprint from home.

Cut your carbon
green energy

What is green energy?


Find out everything you need to know about where renewable energy comes from and how it works.

Go green
a walk into the nature

Electricity: how much does your home really use?

Have you ever wondered how much electricity the average UK home uses?

See the numbers

Frequently asked questions

Our OVO Beyond members receive 100% carbon neutral gas. That’s 15% green gas and 85% carbon offset.

15% may not sound like much, but it’s actually one of the highest rates of green gas available in the UK. This is because green gas is still quite a new market, and there aren’t many plants generating it in this country. So there isn’t yet enough of it to go around for us to offer 100% green gas at an affordable price.

We balance out the emissions from the production and consumption of the remaining gas used by supporting carbon reduction projects – like tree-planting in Uganda, and conserving the Guatemalan coast.

We only support UN-led REDD+ carbon offset projects that are certified to the Verified Carbon Standard to make sure that the highest environmental and social standards are met. Find out more about our carbon offsetting.

Green gas is much better than natural gas for the environment, for 3 key reasons:

  • Burning natural gas releases carbon emissions, but green gas is nearly carbon-neutral
  • Natural gas is a non-renewable fossil fuel, which means it will run out – but green gas is renewable
  • Producing green gas via anaerobic digestion creates a use for waste that would otherwise go to landfill

It’s all in the way they’re made. Natural gas comes from material that decomposed naturally millions of years ago, while green gas comes from material that’s been produced and decomposed more recently. 

This means green gas can be renewed over and over again. And, unlike natural gas, it’ll never run out. Plus, it’s almost carbon neutral.

Wherever gas comes from, it gets pooled in the national gas network, so we can’t guarantee that the gas you’re using in your home is green – no energy supplier can.

So like most energy suppliers, we buy Renewable Gas Guarantee of Origin (RGGO) certificates, which are handed out by the Green Gas Certification Scheme (GGCS) for each unit of green gas that goes into the grid. So you can be sure that the grid is being topped up with just as much green gas as you’re paying for. Go here to find out more.

Renewable Gas Guarantee of Origin certificates are guarantees that are awarded by the GGCS or Green Gas Certification Scheme. 

Each one of these certificates guarantees that one unit of green gas has been added to the national gas grid. We buy these to make sure that for 15% of the gas used by our OVO Beyond members, the same amount of green gas is added to the grid.

1 OVO Beyond's Green Gas is made up of 15% green gas, with the remaining 85% offset to make your gas carbon-neutral. As of 31st July 2020, the proportion of biogas offered vs. the amount offset was higher than all other providers who share details of their green gas offering, except Green Energy UK - and that's something we're pretty proud of. The green gas we sell is backed by renewable certificates (Renewable Gas Guarantees of Origin (RGGOs)).  See here for details on Renewable Gas Guarantees of Origin and how these work. We offset the remaining emissions by supporting UN REDD+ carbon reduction projects that are certified to the Verified Carbon Standard.

2 100% of the renewable electricity we sell is backed by renewable certificates (Renewable Energy Guarantee of Origin certificates (REGOs)). See here for details on Renewable Energy Guarantee of Origin certificates and how these work.