What to do if the account holder passes away
If you need to let us know that one of our members has passed away, we’re here to help you through the next steps.
Letting us know that someone has passed away
To let us know, you can:
- Fill out the form at the bottom of this page
- Call our dedicated team on 0330 175 9683 or email [email protected]
- Use LifeLedger to notify us – LifeLedger is a free online tool that lets you get in touch with us and other companies, to tell us that someone has passed away. It means you can notify multiple companies from one place.
The details we’ll need when you get in touch
It would be really useful if you could also send us:
- Your name and contact details (including your phone number and address)
- Any details of the OVO account holder you might have – like their full name, postcode, or date of birth
- The contact details for the executor or the person taking over the energy account (in case that won’t be you)
- The meter readings from the home we supply, if you’re able to get them – here’s a helpful guide on how to read the meter and send the readings
What are the next steps
We’ll take you through all the options and make sure you’re happy with how the energy account will be managed from now on – and we’ll keep you updated with any changes. You can also let us know if you’d like to put the account in your name or close it.
Get independent advice
For free, independent advice on dealing with the energy account of someone who passed away, you might also want to contact these organisations:
- Continued Path offers support on the processes around managing the estate, as well as more general advice
- Citizens Advice can help on a range of matters, including bereavement
- The NHS or the Cruse Bereavement Care charity can also help you get support after bereavement or loss