Smart Meter Installation Schedule
The Smart Meter Installation Schedule (SMIS) is a set of rules and standards to be followed when installing a new smart meter.
The Smart Meter Installation Schedule is designed to ensure that any energy customer getting a new smart meter can depend on a high standard of service at all times during the installation process. You can view the Smart Meter Installation Schedule and find out more here.
If you’re getting a new smart meter, the Schedule means we also have to make sure you’re given all the information you need. Once the engineer has connected your smart meter, they will run through everything with you, showing you how to use, and make the most of, all your new smart metering kit.
They’ll make sure you know how to use it to improve the energy efficiency of your home, which in turn can cut your energy bills.
The ‘best practice’ rules and guidelines in the Smart Meter Installation Schedule have been laid down by Ofgem, the Office of Gas and Electricity Markets. They are the government department tasked with regulating all UK gas and electricity providers and making sure you get a fair deal and excellent service.
At OVO Energy, we have of course signed up to the Smart Meter Installation Schedule. But naturally we would always do our best to ensure our engineers are fully trained to give you an excellent service, even if the Smart Meter Installation Schedule didn’t exist.
The Schedule covers several aspects of the installation process, including:
- Showing you how to use your smart equipment so that you get the maximum value from it.
- Ensuring that our installers are trained to the highest standards.
- Making sure any communications we send you provide all the information and facts you need.
- Providing the right service and support for anyone who is vulnerable or needs special help.
- Advising you on ways you can monitor your energy use, and how you can use that information to become more energy efficient and reduce your energy bills.
- Making sure we act promptly and keep you informed on progress if something goes wrong with your smart equipment.
Since the Smart Meter Installation Schedule emphasises our duty to give you all the information you need, here are a few useful links to get you started: