Social house rules
Being respected and protected on social media
Want to chat to us on our social channels? Great – we’d love to hear from you! Just give this page a quick read before you start tweeting or posting.
Keeping yourself safe
First up, protect yourself – don’t share personal details publicly
Not everyone’s nice out there. We’ll ask you to remove any posts containing sensitive info – and get you to pop it across in a private message instead.
If we need to access your energy account, we’ll ask your permission first
And if it’s been a little while since you last got in touch, or if you have a new question for us, we might ask you again – just to be sure! We’ll also ask for your security details before we give you any answers or account info.
Thinking of others
Be nice (obviously). We don’t tolerate abusive or discriminatory behaviour
Any posts or comments containing any of the following will be moderated in line with the rules of each platform:
- Personal, confidential information about you or anyone else
- Any racist, sexist, homophobic, transphobic, and other types of discriminatory language or content (incluing videos and images)
- Any malicious content, trolling, and posts or comments that will hurt people
- Any unlawful sharing of information or content, including anything that violates intellectual property rights
- Any solicitation, spam, and suspicious links (eg, phishing). Posts repeating the same messages or links over and over again will be removed.
- These rules go both ways: we'll remove any mistakes that we make too.
At OVO, we strive to promote understanding and empathy
This means we’ll never tolerate racist, abusive, or discriminatory behaviour. We’re working hard to make all OVO spaces safe and positive – for our members and the wider community.
We’ll do everything we can to remove offensive content from our feeds, and report it to each platform directly. If you spot any abusive content on our social media spaces, please let us know immediately.
We’ll moderate the content of anybody who chooses to break these social house rules – and may choose to block them too.
How to get in touch with us
Or if you’d rather call us directly, just ring 0330 303 5063 from Monday to Friday, 9am-5pm.
What to do in an emergency
Please don’t message on social media if you have an urgent problem, because we might not be able to help you in time.
If you have a gas emergency...
Call the 24/7 National Emergency Hotline on 0800 111 999.
If you’re experiencing a power cut...
Call your local Distribution Network Operator asap. You’ll find the full list of local numbers here.
Important legal stuff
We reserve the right to:
- Amend these rules at any time without giving notice.
- Close down our social media accounts without giving notice.
It’s good for you to know that:
- By using any of our social platforms we assume that you're familiar with (and will follow) the terms and conditions of each platform (e.g. Twitter, Facebook etc)
- You’re responsible for anything you post, upload, or any content you link to
- If you don’t want to receive our updates and messages, you can always “unlike” or “unfollow” us at any time