The OLEV Grant: what it is, how much you can get, and how to claim it
22 October 2021 | Celia Topping
Electric vehicles are a vital part of our journey to a greener, more sustainable future. By reducing tailpipe emissions, we can cut our carbon footprint (as well as air pollution), and achieve our zero carbon goals. The UK Government is taking action to make EVs more affordable and accessible to everyone. And their grant scheme is designed to do just that.
What is the OLEV Grant?
Ready for some acronyms? Here goes. The “OLEV Grant'' refers to a government grant offered by the Office for Low Emission Vehicles. You may also have heard it referred to as the “OZEV Grant”. That’s because the office changed its name to the Office for Zero Emission Vehicles (OZEV) at the end of 2020.
How do I qualify for the OLEV Grant?
There are 4 qualifying factors1 which make you eligible for the EVHS:
- You need to have bought an eligible EV or plug-in hybrid car since October 2016, or have leased one for at least 6 months2
- You must have off-street parking at your home
- You must install an OLEV-approved chargepoint
- You must have it installed by an OLEV-approved chargepoint installer
It’s also important to note that you aren’t eligible if you’ve claimed the grant before – even when it was known as the Domestic Recharge Scheme. But if you’ve bought an additional EV, you could claim another grant for a second chargepoint. There’s a 2-chargepoint maximum for any household3.
Which vehicles are eligible?
The EVHS grant is available for all fully electric vehicles – but some plug-in hybrids may not be eligible, if their CO2 emissions are above 50g/km. A list of eligible vehicles can be found here.
Looking to buy an electric car? Here’s a list of the Government Grants and incentives available for EV owners.
How do I claim the OLEV Grant?
If you want to apply for an OLEV grant, you must do it through an OLEV-approved installer. You aren’t allowed to apply for one yourself. Your chosen installer will ask you to show evidence, to prove your eligibility. They’ll then apply on your behalf. At least that takes all the hassle out of the application process! Once agreed, your installer will bill you for the price of the charger and installation, minus the £350 grant they’ll receive.
Here are some examples of the type of evidence you’ll be asked to show, to prove you’re eligibile:
- Your name, address and contact details (or those of the driver/registered keeper of the EV being applied for)
- Your EV’s make, model and registration number
- Your MPAN or electricity supply number. Here’s how to find your MPAN number
- Your order confirmation, or leasing/finance agreement for the EV
- If the EV is a company car, you’ll need a letter proving this
In some cases, customers may have to upgrade their electricity supply before their installer can start work. If this is the case, your installer will let you know, and you’ll have to contact your Distribution Network Operator (DNO) directly.
How long will it take to receive the payment?
The OZEV aims to process all claims made by OLEV-approved installers within 30 days. If you don’t apply through one of these installers, your application won’t be processed.
How do I find an eligible electric car chargepoint and installer?
If you're interested in finding out more about how to charge your electric car away from home, and how long it will take, read our practical guide.
Is there an additional grant in Scotland?
If you live in Scotland, you may be lucky enough to apply for an extra grant of £250 (or £350 for those in the most remote parts of the country) on top of the EVHS grant. This has been made available by the Energy Saving Trust Scotland.
Your OLEV Grant questions answered
What OVO can offer you as an EV driver
Have your ever heard of our Drive Anytime tariff. It’s the UK’s only “type-of-use” tariff – and it offers unbeatable flat rates for charging your EV at any time – plus:
- 100% renewable electricity as standard4
- A tree planted in your name every single year you’re with us5
- A £50 gift card every time you introduce a friend to us
- A 5-Star TrustPilot rating by 30,000 members
So why not get a quote, and switch to OVO today? You could be charging your EV and saving money sooner than you think.
Sources and references:
1. For full details regarding eligibility for the OLEZ Grant, please check the government website.
2. This can include a company car.
3. If you own a business, you could be eligible for the separate OZEV Workplace Charging Scheme (WCS) grant which can be claimed by any business, charity or public authority. This provides up to £350 off the cost of buying and installing up to 40 workplace charging points.
4. 100% of the renewable electricity we sell is backed by renewable certificates (Renewable Energy Guarantee of Origin certificates (REGOs)). See here for details on Renewable Energy Guarantee of Origin certificates and how these work. A proportion of the electricity we sell is also purchased directly from renewable generators in the UK.
5. Each year, OVO plants 1 tree for every member in partnership with the Woodland Trust. Trees absorb carbon dioxide from the atmosphere, so tree-planting helps to slow down climate change.